When repainting a motor the best method would be as follows:
Remove all loose paint
- You can remove any loose paint by scraping it off.
- Sand the area to be painted with a medium grit sandpaper and blend in areas where the paint and substrates meet.
Clean area to be painted (VERY IMPORTANT):
- A strong cleaner (paint thinner) that removes dirt and oils and does not leave any residue will work best.
- Before painting wiping the area with isopropyl alcohol will help remove any remaining residues and moisture.
- Use an epoxy based primer. This will give the strongest adhesion and corrosion resistance.
- Allow primary to dry completely per the manufacturer instructions.
- Use any Acrylic based top coat. Acrylic spray paints offer UV resistance as well as durability. Again the surface should be clean, dry, and free of any residues.
- Suggested paint is Cardinal A-4101-67194 (Aerosol, touch up air dry acrylic enamel).
Note: For each of the individual products mentioned above it is always important to follow all the manufactures directions and safety precautions.